Things to Know
One of the first things people notice about Stratford is the beauty. You speed along high-speed expressways until you motor onto a two-lane roadway surrounded by rich pastoral fields, dotted with picturesque farms. Once you arrive, a magic surrounds you as you wander 19th century streets framing a river set with swans and renowned gardens - Stratford is meant to be strolled and to be savoured, how civilized!
There is a beauty at dusk in the mingling of a black-tied theatre crowd anticipating a thrilling performance. Of being part of a bustling restaurant, scented by a master chef's menus created with ingredients picked only hours ago, from a few miles away. Linger over an afternoon picnic while watching the world glide by. Discover that perfect picture, bowl or curio to bring home, come upon by chance after an afternoon Americano at a café. Bumping into actors, musicians and designers - most of whom call Stratford home - in the after-theatre buzz of a bar or bistro.
Our city may be smaller than most but we have always had a worldly character evident by the refined and well-tended private and public architecture which has long centred our town. We are famous for our Bed and Breakfast inns, each loaded with atmosphere and welcoming hosts - from elegant Victorian Mansions to cozy cottages - we have had guests return every year for over 40 years.
In this age of the speedy and the steely, our character holds pride of place for the artistic, intellectual, gastronomic and bucolic. We invite you to come and refresh yourself for a few days of grace - of stimulating beauty.
To make the most of your visit we offer some help in orientating yourself prior to your arrival - a little bit of history, things you need to know about Stratford and Ontario, where to find us from wherever you are coming from, a map of our town and some useful tips to manage your visit. Once you arrive, there is always a friendly host offering help to make your stay effortless.
While some retail stores and restaurants are open on these dates, others may not be. Check ahead directly with the businesses you are interested in visiting.
2019 Official Holidays:
Wednesday, December 25, 2019 - Christmas Day
Thursday, December 26, 2019 - Boxing Day
The City of Stratford enjoys a year-round moderate climate. Stratford is located on the same latitude as Boston, Massachusetts, the Nebraska heartland and Northern California.
Southwestern Ontario offers four distinct seasons, which make a wide variety of leisure activities possible. The winter weather lasts from December through March whilst summer temperatures stretch from May thru October. Canadian weather is measured in degrees using the Celsius scale: 0 Celsius = 32 Fahrenheit
Stratford 5-Day Forecast courtesy of My Stratford Now
Links for Daily Weather and Road Reports:
Winter Road Conditions: Ministry of Transportation 1-800-265-5407
Road Construction: 1-800-268-4686
The stores in the historic downtown are generally open 7 days a week during the theatre season. Most stores open at 9:30 am and close at 5:30 pm, and remain open until 8:00 pm on Friday evenings. Some smaller stores close on Monday or Sunday. Do check with the store you wish to visit to confirm the hours. Stratford shopping malls are open daily with extended evening hours throughout the entire year.
- There are metered parking spaces in the downtown. Most meters are for four hours, with some exceptions and cost $1 per hour. There is four hour free parking on Saturdays between December 1 and April 30. Parking is free all day Sundays throughout the year.
- Blue coloured handicap parking spaces are available throughout the downtown.
- If you are attending a performance at the Festival Theatre, there is a large parking lot on Queen Street at the Avon River. Parking is available for cars during performances only for $12 in advance, $15 at the entrance. There is free parking along Lakeside Drive and along the circular drive in Upper Queen's Park. The Buick Drive parking lot (next to the Festival Theatre) is $20 limited availability. Special Access Parking is available in the Buick Drive parking lot. There is limited availability, so we recommend that you reserve Special Access parking when you book your tickets. Cost: $10 with valid permit.
- Please note that overnight parking on all city streets is prohibited.
Parking map of downtown Stratford, including accessible spaces.
Map of Stratford
- Download a PDF map of the City or a PDF map of Perth County.
- Use the City of Stratford's GIS Interactive Mapping Tool.
The following companies offer taxi services in Stratford:
- City Cab - (519) 272-2222
- Radio Cab - (519) 271-4242
City of Stratford Transit provides a convenient alternative to driving within Stratford. There are 6 regularly scheduled transit routes within the City and the frequency of pick-up is every 30 minutes. Passes and schedules are available through the Transit Office at City Hall. Schedule & Pass Information: 519-271-0250, ext 264.
- Stratford General Hospital, 46 General Hospital Drive at West Gore and Cambria Streets (519) 271-2120